Summer is over but that does not mean that you can ignore your feet. In fact taking good care of them with a weekly pedicure will enhance your overall health. Wasn’t it President Abraham Lincoln who said “If my feet don’t feel good, I don’t feel good” such wish words in the history of the pedicure.
Pineapples are also a well known beauty secret when it comes to softening and cleansing your feet — especially after a summer of going barefoot .
Fresh pineapples are rich in the enzyme, bromelain. This active ingredient cleanses and freshens the skin by removing dead skin cells and other surface impurities. You can also use the tough outer rind as a skin scrubber on your heels and soles to get them super clean and soft. If you don’t have access to fresh pineapple you can also used canned it works equally as well on your feet and may even save you a few $$
Giving yourself a pedicure at home is super easy and you only need a few items:
Large bowl, sink or tub
scrubbing tools – pumice stone, loofah, pineapple rind
q-tips or orange wood sticks wrapped in cotton
natural oil or good foot cream
Here are the steps I follow:
Ultimate Home Pedicure
- Remove all old polish using a mild polish remover
- Fill a large bowl or basin with warm water and add some fresh acidic fruit such as pineapples or lemons and any other flower or herbs you have on hand. (I just love to use fresh herbs and flowers in my beauty treatments). Soak your feet for at least 10 minutes (15 is even better)
- Scrub rough skin spots with a natural pumice stone, loofah or bit of pineapple rind. Keep soaking for another 5 minutes
- Apply a bit of natural oil to the base of your cuticles and gently push them back using a cotton swab or orange stick covered in cotton. Be gentle.
- Clip your nails straight across to avoid ingrown nails. Do this step after soaking as wet nails are easier to cut and you get a cleaner cut.
- Rinse your feet and massage a rich natural oil or foot cream into them. Give yourself a bit of a foot massage too.
There you are healthy and happy feet!
Have a beautiful day!
Here is a behind the scenes shot I had to include as my cat seems enchanted with the pineapple foot soak – it does smell amazing!